I think nao revives are bad for this game...
Posted at 07-28-19, 10:20 pm Link | #1
Banned

Last post: 1591 days
Last view: 559 days
Because nao is plentiful, it removes a lot of punishment from death. You have to die a lot in this version of the game(Unless you payed for live premium) before you'll see the detrimental effects of death like dura loss/ blessing loss/ item drop/ exp loss etc. Death just lacks any sort of weight, and that is a problem.

A player isn't going to take a combat situation as seriously if they know they can just die and be okay. Maybe this is a personal issue, because I don't. But, it does also take away from other aspects of the game. I don't need to carry around as much or any blessings, so I'm not going to do the ptj to advanced and be able to take more blessings per job, I'll probably only need a few, since nao has got me covered.
Dura loss is another one. If I'm not getting any blessings, I'm not using my time well, though, I'm not really getting punished for it now. This means, I'm spending less money on repairs even though I'm not getting blessings, my repairs are always safer, even though I'm not spending the time to get blessings, etc. We also make way more gold in this version of mabinogi, so it ends up feeling like I never have to worry about my gear.

Currently, early game>mid game> end can all be reached quicker and easier due to double ap/x2 skill training/destinies not to mention we make more money. so I'm not sure I understand the need of having nao..?
She takes away from the game more than she adds to it, and I'm sure I could give more examples.

fuck nao
Posted at 08-01-19, 08:11 pm Link | #2
bigox172

Last post: 1701 days
Last view: 97 days
K
Posted at 08-04-19, 01:09 am Link | #3
Mihoshika

Last post: 1699 days
Last view: 1699 days
Translator
Naw. Being able to die without punishment is gr8. And you can't repeatedly die, you'd run out of revives fairly quickly, and while they do run out eventually, it's fast enough to let you get past a situation you're too weak for by zerging.

... And are you in favor of having to grind for holy water? Don't have bots for that, like on live.

More money is gr8. Inflation FTW.
Posted at 08-04-19, 07:23 am Link | #4
Patoots GM

Last post: 20 days
Last view: 11 days
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here.
Posted at 08-05-19, 03:20 am Link | #5
Banned

Last post: 1591 days
Last view: 559 days
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here.
a post with words, you read the words and take what you will from it

Naw. Being able to die without punishment is gr8. And you can't repeatedly die, you'd run out of revives fairly quickly, and while they do run out eventually, it's fast enough to let you get past a situation you're too weak for by zerging.

... And are you in favor of having to grind for holy water? Don't have bots for that, like on live.

More money is gr8. Inflation FTW.
I'm glad you posted, honestly, at least someone wants to talk. Saying "being able to die without punishment" is exactly what I'm arguing against. The problem is, any decent player isn't going to run out of revives, my intention was never to state that you just can die as much as you want, but I was attempting to argue that, with 5 stones a day, and one replenish per ingame day, death can feel like a very minimal punishment. Shouldn't throwing yourself at a situation in a bad way not be reward? I honestly feel like a good player will feel more enjoyment from a tough fight if they didn't just win it through "zerging with naos".

Not sure I've ever seen bots for hw, just people with lots of completion on church. Not that it really matters, here nor there. But, since you brought up holy water, kinda ties into what I said before. Being good rewards a skillful and prepared player, they're gonna be burning through less water, all the while keeping dura up and more than likely never dropping a weapon. Also I feel the time consumption to get holy water is one of the more fair things in game, especially since we have the barri variant which makes it even faster.

good discussion m8
Posted at 08-13-19, 12:57 pm Link | #6
Domirade

Last post: 57 days
Last view: 16 days
Shouldn't throwing yourself at a situation in a bad way not be reward? I honestly feel like a good player will feel more enjoyment from a tough fight if they didn't just win it through "zerging with naos".

I feel like you're contradicting yourself here. Throwing yourself at a situation you're not equipped to handle isn't rewarded, it just isn't punished as harshly as it used to be on live. If you're truly out of your element, you're not going to be any better off with 5 naos because you're just going to waste them and die again anyway. And a "good player" will not need to win a tough fight by "zerging with naos", they'll win the fight normally.

I'm no expert, but I'm decent, and most of my Naos have been spent on silly stuff. Like a mob hitting me due to displacement lag in the middle of my combo. Or failing to assault slash a rat when it goes into deadly, when I'm deadly myself. The one time I knowingly did something way out of my league (3 man shadow wiz) I blew all the rest of my holy water in addition to all my naos

Being good rewards a skillful and prepared player, they're gonna be burning through less water, all the while keeping dura up and more than likely never dropping a weapon. Also I feel the time consumption to get holy water is one of the more fair things in game, especially since we have the barri variant which makes it even faster.

I remember being a new player back in the day, learning the ins and outs of combat, and being afraid to get too far from a church without stacks and stacks of holy water. In fact, because the demand for holy water was so high, selling it was how I initially made enough money to do things like upgrade a pair of swords and buy a kite shield. But I think grinding church jobs to adv is a lot to ask of a new player, doubly so if they're new to Mabi altogether. I think the advantages of having Nao revives make mabi a little more accessible to new players, and I think that's a fair tradeoff in a place with a smaller community.
Terms