Translated dialogue
Posted at 05-03-22, 12:59 am Link | #1
Asinity

Last post: 695 days
Last view: 43 days
I started Mabinogi during the NA official open beta, and fell in love with it. I followed it all the way up to G10 where computer troubles (and life!) prevented me from continuing the enjoy the game, and I'd recently gotten back into it to try and capture that experience again...but everything changed. I start a new character and I get an avalanche of stuff dropped on me pulling me in every direction at once to HURRY UP GET STRONG SOLO ALL THIS OLD STUFF. It is no longer a game, but a skinner box where immature players compete with each other for the biggest numbers. That's not Mabinogi. Mabinogi was a game, that happened to incorporate elements of that, but didn't revolve around it by design.

So when I heard about this server, I absolutely had to try it out to try to recapture that old experience, and so I did...for about 20 minutes. It isn't the players, it isn't the ideals the server was founded on, it isn't the differences or custom changes, or custom content...its that all the characters are speaking Japanese at me. It is a (mostly) authentic old-school Mabinogi experience that only those fluent in this language can have. I lean towards seeing that resolved over additional content, very strongly so, in fact. I recognize that translating an entire MMORPG's worth of NPC dialogue is a monumental task and not something done in a day. I also recognize the difficulty of finding people willing to spend their time in order to pursue that goal. And further still, I recognize that the skillsets required to add new things, and translate languages do not necessarily overlap...but I feel that it's a worthy task that should be addressed immediately, even at the expense of other projects for the server. It's a little discouraging for players who want what's offered here, but can't or won't due this one very tall hurdle.

I love this game. I love the direction the team has chosen for this server, wish the team well and to keep up the good, quality work here, but I unfortunately can't recommend the experience for myself or anyone else until the translation is addressed. I'm willing to wait, so I'll keep my eyes peeled, and I genuinely hope that given plenty of time, it will, and I can enjoy the game again.
Terms